Friday 31 August 2012

My brother-in-law’s lecherous ways made my life miserable


“When I got married to my husband who lived abroad, I moved in with his older brother, Andy (not real name) and his family while my relocation papers got processed. It made sense to move in with them because Lagos was not my town (I stayed with my parents in the east) and I needed somewhere to stay. Also, my husband felt it was an opportunity to get me well acquainted with his family whom he was close to. I was not keen on the living arrangement because I know how such can put a strain on new family relationships but it made sense.
 
 
Andy was a top executive; good looking, well dressed and well spoken. He appeared to be a loving man who doted on his wife and kids. When we first met, I remember thinking that this was just how I hoped my new husband would be.  Big mistake it was, I tell you, for less than two weeks after I started staying with them, I got a rude awakening."

Andy had a serious problem; he was a sex addict. At least, that’s what I think for how else can you describe someone who has no control over their impulses? Early morning, he would go out to work and return around midday to harass me. The first day this happened, I thought he must have forgotten something and came out to ask what it was. He smiled, brushed my hand lightly and mumbled something which I could not place. I turned back to my room and when I made to close the door, he pushed against it – he had followed me. He said something about been attracted to me, grabbed and kissed me. I was too shocked to react. Few seconds later, the shock wore off and panic set in. I pushed against him and begged that I didn’t want any trouble. Dashing out of my room, I rushed out through the kitchen door and stayed at the back yard. He came to the kitchen and watched me through the window, gesturing for me to come back in while licking his lips. I was disgusted. This happened again the next day and the following days after that as he would come home in the middle of the day to harass me while his wife was at work and kids at school.
Once, he chased me around the house as I ran and begged him to leave me alone. My life became a nightmare. I was not working; I didn’t have close friends or relatives in town and I could not give my husband a good explanation of why I wanted to go back to my parents home in the east when I could just wait for my papers to come out while getting to know his family too. I was miserable and most days, I would lock my room door or just hang outside the house to pass the time until his family got home. This went on for a while until Andy devised a new method. Seeing he could not get me easily alone during the day, he started bumping into me at night. He would enter my room without knocking, stand beside me in the kitchen, touching or brushing against me, grab my butt or brush my boobs when we run into each other on the corridors, sit beside me on the sofa and make casual conversation while my head pounded with the stress. Sometimes, he would send me to pick up stuff in his car after which he would come out to help me and in the process, brush against my breasts, pinch my butt, rub my arm and just do lewd stuff. I would want to scream but I couldn’t. I could not imagine dealing with any trouble that would come from my exposing him and besides, I might not be believed as I was the newbie in the family.
One day, I woke up and just could not take it anymore. Telling them I had a family emergency, I took off. But thinking back, I remembered this weird, sad look in his wife’s eyes and I wondered, somehow, if she knew. She had two male domestic staff which was not common at the time for most women preferred female domestic workers. Maybe she knew the type of man she was married too so tried to reduce things that might trigger his madness around her home.
Till today, I’ve never told my husband what happened and I avoid my brother in law like a bad disease whenever we’re around each other. He has not changed either for sometime after when I shook his hand, the sicko scratched the middle of my palm with his finger. What a dick!”       

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmm,,quite hard to imagine such deviant behavior still exist in families....interesting to know she came out unscarred....one only wonders how she holds down such miserable memory

Anonymous said...

what a dick is the right phrase for the guy. Your brother's wife, whom you're meant to protect, instead you torment her with unwanted advances cos you cant control your foolish third leg. If i was pagan, I would have wished the gods to cut if off from you so you'll rest. Baboon