Wednesday 12 September 2012

Pinging: I broke my wife’s phone because of her love for chatting

“Honestly, this craze for technology is driving me insane. Face booking, chatting, tweeting and all the crazy distractions are enough to tip one over the edge …and it did tip me some time ago.

One day, I got home very hungry. My wife was around so I asked her to give me some food. She gave me our local delicacy of eba and soup to go with it. I jumped into the meal hungrily but in the middle of it, my soup finished. My wife was in the kitchen so I asked her to help me with some more soup and while I waited, I picked up eba in my hands, ready to go once the soup came. I was so hungry.

About five minutes later, she was still in the kitchen and my soup was nowhere in sight. I called out to her but there was no response. The eba in my hands had caked and become messy. I stood up and walked into the kitchen.



There was my wife, busily chatting or pinging (or whatever you want to call it) – she was so focused on the phone that she didn’t hear me come in.

In anger, I grabbed the phone and smashed it on the floor. Not satisfied that it was broken, I used my foot to smash it even more. I was so angry that it took everything in me not to pick up the smashed phone and throw at something. I walked out of the kitchen and abandoned my half-eaten meal on the dining table.

She didn’t speak to me for days but I didn’t care. She’s always so distracted by her phone that having conversations with her is not the easiest thing as she’ll be chatting to ten people while you’re talking to her. And it’s not like those chats are meaningful ones – sharing dumb jokes and all kinds of trash. Well, I made my point that fateful day and after she got over what I did to her phone, she adjusted her habits; now, she pays more attention to the people around her and less to her phone.”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on achieving sanity. Hope u replaced d phone sha

Anonymous said...

I think you should have sent her a chat to get you more soup. May be that is her learning style.

Anonymous said...

Lol. Chat to get more soup. Too funny