Saturday 25 August 2012

I caught my boss pants down …and saved my job!


Image: http://www.postdivorcechronicles.com
"Last year, I worked with a supervisor who was notorious for his love of women. Our unit was sales so everyone was under incredible performance pressure and supervisors were constantly asked to weed out those who were not meeting expectations. My boss, Olu (not real name), used it as easy leverage to get girls to succumb to his sexual needs because many were afraid of getting fired if they refused, and some just wanted his help to get promotions. I was out of his radar for a while until his current flame was posted out of our location. In her absence, his attentions turned to me. I resisted but the guy was tenacious.

Olu made up all sorts of ways to get me alone. He would schedule client calls with me so he could talk all his ‘nonsense’ while we’re alone, he’d follow me – to the restroom, quiet kitchen – just so he could grope me. At one time, I had to threaten to scream and even made some loud noise before he left me alone. Sometimes, he would keep me at the office long after everyone had gone under the false pretense of going through work issues; it was horrible. I dreaded going to work because it was a constant battle to keep his hands away from me, even in the car. Eventually, I agreed to sleep with him as it seemed to be the only way I could move forward. This is what I did."

"On a particularly low day for me, I confided in a friend in our HR unit, Victor (not real name) about what I was going through. Victor said they’d heard whispers about Olu but nothing concrete with evidence. He said these bosses were clannish so any accusation against them had to be backed with proof.  In a society like ours, such issues attach stigma to a girl and you can even get blacklisted. I didn’t want that but I also didn’t want to sleep with him; I was desperate. A week later, my desperation gave birth to a plan with my friends.   

As part of the plan, I agreed to Olu’s advances on a Thursday. After groping for a bit with whispered promises of all he’d do for me, he said he wanted to take me somewhere private so we could celebrate. I had expected him to take me out the coming weekend but Olu was obviously in a hurry to bed me. That Thursday was not the plan so I had to call my friends about the new development. They said they were willing to leave work to carry out the plan so I gave them the name of the hotel which I’d picked.

When we got to the hotel, my friends were already there. They’d taken bikes to avoid traffic so there would be no issues. Olu and I entered the room and proceeded to have fun. I made sure I got Olu hot and ready. I rubbed him all over and he was only too happy to rush out of his clothes. I pushed the pillows and duvet to the floor so he was alone on the bed in all his naked glory. I smiled, stood up and told him I wanted to do a few girl things in the restroom and he should just wait on the bed because I was coming to give him a real good time. Behind the door, my friends lay in wait. Once I coughed out loud, they rushed in and took pictures of Olu. Before he could pick his clothes to hide his body, they were done. I grabbed my bag and ran out of the room with my friends. Quickly, I got a cab and headed straight to our head office where I submitted the pictures to our HR as evidence of sexual harassment against me. Olu was fired and the MD sent a strong warning to the whole company that such would not be tolerated. The company apologized to me and commended me for having the courage to do something about my situation. I still sense the weird stares of people, especially guys, sometimes, and I know a few of them have expressed their unwillingness to work with me but I’m okay with what I did. I have the right to choose who I sleep with and I don’t expect to do it to save my job. I saved my job and my dignity and that’s what matters."

 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You did what you had to do and there's no shame in that. Just wish some of us had more courage to take action when abuse is involved