Sunday 24 February 2013

We did everything they wanted and still, they killed my only brother



“My brother was in his country home when some armed guys rushed in and took him away. We knew about it hours after when they made the ransom call. They wanted N20million naira (approx.. $130,000) to return him to us.


We didn’t have that kind of money so we began to negotiate with them. We were desperate – my brother was our only son, my mother’s darling and being the youngest of four kids, we girls doted on him even as he was in his thirties. He had a beautiful wife but they were yet to have a child seven years into their marriage. We wanted our brother back.

It took about two weeks but finally they agreed to release him for N5million naira. They gave us instructions on the money drop location and where to pick up my brother. We did exactly what they wanted.

My husband and some other guys went to pick him up. I wanted to go but they would not let me, saying it wasn’t safe. I waited anxiously for the call and when it came, I didn’t get the joyous news I wanted. They found my brother’s lifeless body dumped by the side of a rundown wooden house. He’d obviously been beaten many times and had so many bruises all over his body. His face was contorted and it appeared he died in pain.

I’m in my fifties and have experienced so many tragedies but I think that day is the worst I’ve ever had. When I saw the body, I couldn’t begin to describe the many emotions that ran through me. I thought of my aged mother and I wondered …………………….. We did what they wanted and still, they killed my only brother.”

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So painful. Wonder when dis cankerworm called kidnapping will leave our society. God pls touch d souls of these kidnappers, and alwz protect ur children.

Anonymous said...

I recently read about the most miserable countries in the world and was shocked we Nigerians didnt make the list. The wahala is too much. If its not kidnapping, its bombers, armed robbers, no electricity or water, no jobs, bad schools, etc. I don tire! That said, I am really sorry for the loss suffered by this woman and her family. Hope you regain your peace.

Anonymous said...

I take it that this is not an isolated case in Nigeria. It is tragic when it happens to a loved one but the truth is that the people as well as the citizens must make tough decisions. The second amendment in the States guarantees the right to carry arms for protection. If the relevant authorities fail to protect her citizens then they must assume such rights but this will have to be done constitutionally. Break down of law and order in a country is like a ticking bomb, it is only a matter of time before it goes round. My preferred option is for the people to work with the central authority to develop community policing and they must be dispassionate about doing this. It is a better option than the American system but it is not without its shortcomings too.

Anonymous said...

hey @anon 9:18, community policing aka vigilantes is common in Nigeria because people dont rely on the govt to provide security anymore. for a country like this, where laws are constantly broken without consequences and majority of people are frustrated, its dangerous to arm them as well. frustration + lawlessness + guns = bad combination. i appreciate where you're coming from though but it cant work in a place like this at all.

Gun Smith said...

Anon 9.18, every beento I come across make the same postulation as you. Too bad. They quote the second amendment of 1791 like they were there when it was made. Meanwhile the Ameeican society is suffering becauase of it presently. Liberalising guns will not solve our problems, what will is good governance.

Anonymous said...

These crimes are not decreasing and its because these criminals are usually never caught and dealt with by the law which is a shame. It reiterates the importance of good governance. We need it desperately