Friday 17 May 2013

I’ve realized …I can only depend on me



“Just like everyone else, when I got married, I was relieved because I believed that my lonely times were over. Finally, I had someone to share my life with -  my joys, worries …all of it. It felt good …until I came to my senses.


My marriage has been a good one but it’s also been a weird one. In many ways, I have had my partner’s support and it’s been comforting. But strangely, in some ways, I have also felt my partner’s distance – the unwillingness to partner with me, to share some of my pains or even some of my triumphs, the distance kept especially in the times I’ve needed him most, the subtle, yet strong, refusal to fully partner with me in the things that mattered to me.

It is hard to explain really but it is there. I would get anxious about doing something and he would simply walk away, making no effort to share my concerns or reassure me. I would have challenges in my relationship with someone and he would be so obviously silent on the matter, not offering support or condemnation in any way. Something good would happen to me and I would be so happy only to meet his indifference. But in other ways, he would be so supportive, helping me out anytime I asked and just being good to me, our kids, my family. It was a strange relationship and I never really know what to expect from him so I’ve learnt to keep much to myself just to avoid the pain of an unexpected and undesired reaction. 

After many years, I have come to realize however, that we are all truly alone after all. The cliché is true – you, and only you, are the only person you can always count on …and even sometimes, you may disappoint yourself. I guess this means it’s unfair to expect someone to meet all your needs. I hope I make sense and don't sound crazy. " 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You just realised this? i realised it a looooonnnnggg time ago

Anonymous said...

Funny story, sounds like my own experience with my own partner. You have not thought about anything you are doing wrong for him to be blowing hot and cold.

Anonymous said...

Anon 15.38, you have a point. My wife looks down on my opinion. She will rather take the opinion of her friends. So when she brings up any project I am a bit wary about contributing, because she will probably heap scorn on my idea. Sometimes she makes me wonder if I should see a psychologist to beef up my ego. I wonder whether she feels as bad as this blogger.

Anonymous said...

All human and probably animal relationships have their ups and downs so I don't particularly see the big deal with yours. There will be good days and bad days. As long as the good is more, then you are on solid ground. Yours doesn't sound bad at all. You should see some people's relationships. Its as if they are starring in their own horror show. Lol