Sunday 24 January 2016

I almost left the country for international waters ...in a very unorthodox manner


 
For a long time, I was a very poor man, and for quite a while in those poverty ridden years, I was homeless. One night, very heavy rains came pouring down and for refuge, I rushed into one of the empty shipping containers in the dockyard where I had ducked into after hours of wandering around.

Hours later, I woke up to rumbling sounds and soon enough, it dawned on me that the container was moving.

I panicked. It was dark and stuffy inside and I felt like  could not breathe. I began to pound on the sides of the steel cage but weakened by my hungry state, I could not muster enough energy to pound loud enough.

After what felt like forever, the movement stopped. I waited and once I heard sounds outside, I resumed my frantic pounding. There was a commotion outside but it seemed the noise was moving away from me instead of towards me. I began to scream hoarsely and pound with everything in me. This must have gone on for quite a while but fortunately, it ended before I lost my mind. The doors opened and there was a group of bewildered people standing in front of it, peering inside. I slid to them and when they saw me, some shouted out and began to hit a man cowering in the corner.

Questions came at me and it took a while to tell them that I was just a homeless man, seeking shelter from the rain. It was after this that I realized the cowering man was the driver of the trailer carrying the container. The small crowd had held on to him, suspicious that he was trafficking me for bad reasons. The relieved man glared at me as he walked past and people advised that I never wander into an empty container ever again, especially on grounds like theirs

No comments: