Tuesday 22 December 2015

My love hate relationship

image: thelovetherapist.org
 
Muna is one of my oldest friends and we have so many shared experiences from our childhood. We went to the same schools, had the same friends, enjoyed reading the same books, watching the same movies and even shared a couple of crushes on the same girls. Now, though, things have changed somewhat as, while I still love him, I also dislike him.
 
He’s so much more successful than I am but that is not the reason why. His attitude, since he got so wealthy, just irks me and I have found myself wondering if he was always this way or if the success was the 'change' factor – I’m not sure.

I’ve been to many countries courtesy of my friend who pulls me along on his uncountable number of business trips around the world. I’ve made some money too as he’s sent quite a number of business deals my way. On some occasions when things were down for me, he came through financially which is a real big deal. He’s a saint, right?
 
Not always. While he has so many good qualities, for a larger percentage of the time, I wonder if about our friendship. He picks his calls, or answers his texts, only when he decides he has something to say to you, or if you’re of any use to him – like maybe handling a certain specialized aspect of a business deal he has and he needs someone he trusts to do it. He invites me along on business trips, I discovered, because he hates to travel alone or with strangers; he came through for me in those times I was flailing financially but this was after months of ignoring my existence and only then, because something had come up and he needed me to do it.  When things are smooth, I never hear from him but once bumps spring up along his road, he reaches out to hang out so we can chat about his worries.
 
I know this is better than nothing because I do gain financially sometimes but I have given it a lot of thought and it is indeed a strange relationship we have. More than half the time, I am pissed at him and the other half, I am just resigned to how we are together.

 

No comments: