Saturday 12 December 2015

The day I forgot a tampon .....inside me


 

Due to my very heavy menstrual flow, tampons were a necessity as I wear them with my sanitary towel to stretch my change out periods. On one ‘after period’ day, it crossed my mind that I could not recall removing my tampon a couple of nights before. I retraced my steps but just could not remember at which point I took it out. I woke my husband and asked him to take a ‘deep’ look. He peered in and saw nothing; he used his fingers to widen the area and a torch to shine in more light but still saw nothing.

‘I don’t think there’s anything there; you must have taken it out’, he said and we went back to sleep. But still, the issue of whether my tampon was there continued to wander through my mind. At work the next morning, I googled the possibility of forgetting one’s tampon in the vagina and saw the stories of women who’d done so. I jumped up and went to the doctor’s office. Just my luck, I met with a young doctor who looked like he was barely old enough to have graduated and when I told him what my worries were, an examination was scheduled.

He opened me up (with whatever it’s called…can’t remember) and I was right – I had forgotten my tampon and it was so up inside me that its tip was lodged between the opening of my cervix. The doctor asked if i had been pregnant recently and when I explained that I’d just had a miscarriage, he said that was probably why my cervix had a very slight opening (I’m being very layman here). When he brought it out, it looked really messy and stinky – yuck. I was embarrassed but I was also relieved to have it out. Hopefully, I will not make this mistake again.

No comments: