Sunday 6 December 2015

How I learnt to watch my mouth amongst strangers

image: www.survivingdating.com
 
Awkward silences made me nervous so to avoid them, I had a tendency to run my mouth. However, after an incident at a friend’s party, I learnt that it was probably better to sit through the silence than put my foot in my mouth.

Here’s what happened – I was at a friend’s event and I knew no one there. To get me comfortable, my friend sat me at a table with another friend of hers whom she felt I would have something in common with. We were both in the beauty and lifestyle business so instantly, we had rapport. When she told me where she worked, I was happy to tell her .....
 

about a friend who had worked for the CEO of her company. Casually, I talked about the many stories of her CEO’s philandering ways and how everyone said he was worse than a dog in heat.

The next day, my friend sent me a text, telling me that the lady she’d sat me with was also her CEO’s baby mama. I almost passed out. I recalled she had not said much when I was talking about her boss but in my nervousness, I’d not noticed. My friend said she was not offended though as she was used to it but advised that I keep my mouth shut next time. Advice was well received.

No comments: