Friday 7 December 2012

My student wrote me an explicit love letter



“I teach teenage boys at an all-boys school and because I’m quite young, my presence tends to elicit a certain craziness in them. Because of this, I’m extremely cautious with my students - I’m very careful with how I dress and the way I relate with them so as to avoid any kind of weirdness.  

But no matter how you try, some of these students can still be mischievous. When I first started, some of the bold, crazy ones would rush past and brush against my chest area. But I successfully stopped this when I grabbed the last perpetrator and embarrassed him thoroughly before assigning a really nasty punishment. None tried it again. However, the most annoying to date was when one of them wrote me a love letter and dropped it on my desk. 

I would have dismissed it easily, after all, they are teenage boys, but the letter was so explicit. He gave a detailed explanation of all the things he would do to me and all the places we would do it including my table in the class. He even went further to say that if I was not getting it well enough with my husband at home, he was willing to teach me and give me a good time. I was dumbfounded after reading it.

Carefully, I studied the hand writing of all my students that day and got a very close match so I was pretty sure who the letter writer was. The next day, I discussed the letter in class and watched all their faces – it was obvious my suspect was very uncomfortable, but the other students were quiet and after class, many of them followed me to the teachers’ room to plead that such would not happen again and they would find out who wrote it. I didn’t bother giving them any assurances but simply sent them out of the room.

I thought about reporting him to the principal but some other staff advised that I deal with it on my own as my personal tackling of the perpetrator would send a stronger message that I’m not to be messed with just because I’m new or young. Now, I’m thinking of how to deal with this boy to make sure he thinks twice before being stupid again. I need to get creative with the punishment so I wonder …."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only 'creative' thing to do is to consider the boys request.

Anonymous said...

Lol! Only a guy would make this so annoying but funny comment.

Anonymous said...

Have you thot of talking him out of it. Quite honestly if you detest what he wrong so badly.......then you would have taken a decision no matter what advise youu get
Anyway my take on this is to talk him out of it and go the extra mile of announcing him in class
Just my one cent